Walks, Parks, Public Facilities, History.

User CTRL F and type in the box your search Criteria FIND NEXT and up or down to move through the Matches of your search string

Please be aware this page may tale some time to load, I am at present moving pictures to their own Gallery under each Header. Call again as we are constantly updating this page

I would love to hear from people prepared to have their old photos of the area scanned for consideration for this site.

Check our Canterbury Picnic Spots Page

Sumnertoferrymead Home

Adderly Head is the head opposite Godley on the east side of  Lyttelton Harbour

 

Anti Aircraft Battery. Leave your car at Evans Pass car park, and walk a short distance up the summit road to the start of the track, be prepared for a stiff climb, rewarded with spectacular views as you get higher toward the battery. Take warm clothing, as wind-chill is noticeable even in summer. This is the start of the Crater rim walkway. Closed for lambing time, a short walk through the farmland (keep to track) takes you out to the top of Richmond Hill from there, walk back down the Summit Road to your car. S 43° 35.492 E 172° 44.151

Banks Peninsula Drives. We suggest a day trip by car, make up your own itinerary perhaps over several days as you will not cover all the places below in one day.

Take Evans Pass out of Sumner passing through Lyttelton, Rapaki, Governors Bay to Teddington.

Great views of the plains and the city are obtained by taking the summit road where it joins at Gebbies pass. Returning along the Western Summit Road to Evans Pass and Sumner

Note the Sign of the Bellbird, Sign of the Kiwi Sugarloaf Transmitter, The Gondola on the return journey.

If you do not want to take the summit road from Gebbies pass you can head down Gebbies Valley toward Lake Ellesmere and return to the city on the flat, via Motukarara, Tai Tapu and Halswell.

Birdlings flat is heaven on earth for stone collectors. Watch for wave action as the surf crashes in here.

Both would be good day trips
 

Follow the harbour at the Wheat Sheaf Hotel Teddington and on to Diamond harbour. Take the road to Purau and on to Port levy and on to Pigeon Bay an unsealed road.

You could take the Western Valley Road out of Port Levy to Little River (not recommended in wet weather, as it is unsealed)

From Pigeon bay travel up to the Summit Road then drop down to Little Akaloa where there is a delightful little church on the road that you take out to Okains Bay on Chorlton Road. Named after the quantity of Native pigeons that inhabited the area

The Okains Bay museum is a Must Visit an excellent collection of Maori and early European items

Okains Bay has a safe sandy beach, and sea caves at the Easturn end.

The less adventurous can take the sealed road back up to the Summit Road, while the others will take Big Hill Road near the beach, Camerons Track and Lavericks ridge Road to Le Bons Bay. Named as a french corruption as the bay had a large number of whale bones on the beach from early whaling activity.

Don’t be put off by the rough first section as later views are definitely worth the trip. Le Bons has a safe Sandy Beach and a Quaint Cricket ground.

From Le Bons Bay it is back up to the circuit of the Summit Road and drop down to Hickory Bay, Goughs Bay and maybe Long Bay which is the last night on the World Famous Banks Peninsula Track.

You will proceed to Akaroa on the Long Bay Road

From Akaroa you can take the Stony Bay Road or from Akaroa you can also take Lighthouse Road which leads on to Flea Bay road, Both stops on the BP track.

All the Eastern Bays have their own character and are well worth a visit.

A stop at Onawe peninsula with its history is worth the diversion

Return to Christchurch via Devauchelle, Barry’s Bay (stop at the cheese factory), The Hilltop, Little River, Motukarara, Tai Tapu and Halswell.

The loop from Wainui to Little River is an often-overlooked trip. It is worth driving down the Peraki road with the bay’s whaling history, although the beach is not accessible.

Treat Bossu road as a dead end, crossing the Lake Forsyth outlet should not be attempted.

On the Peninsula watch the roads as they are narrow, and there are few barriers, there are many layovers for you to stop and enjoy the view. Campervans are not recommended on the steep shingle roads. Check road conditions in winter as Ice and Snow can close roads.

Barnett Park. Barnet Park Picture Gallery Venue for Scouts, Guides, hockey and soccer. Old Rifle Range Visit 2 Caves on the loop Walkway. Paradise Cave is about halfway up on the left track the entry track is not signposted. S 43° 34.594 E 172° 44.002.

Barnett Park Loop Walkway Entry to the park is close to the bottom of Moncks Spur where there are Public Toilets and a children’s Play area. Take the path at either side of the playing fields and walk to the back of the valley. The track becomes reasonably steep in places. Steps lead to a cave at the head of the valley at S 43° 34.775 E 172° 44.059.

Beachville Park is the small reserve towards the eastern end of Beachville Rd. in what was known as Ballantynes Corner before the house was washed into the sea in the 1940's. This area of Beachville Road leads up towards the shopping centre, and the Main Road.

Beachville Road Slipway (No Charge) is known as the Celia Street Jetty in CCC records. Launching on the Estuary for small boats avoid low tide. Ample parking, close by and a shallow sheltered sandy beach for toddlers to swim.There is a safety barrier to divide the beach from the estuary.

Days (Bells) Harbour Scbr Slipway Sumner Boating & Fishing Club Inc. (Charge $3 Daily)

The Lyttelton Harbour Board took over and build the first breakwater and launching ramp here, up to 28 fishing boats operated from Scarborough in the 1920's.

This site housed the Rescue 2 by 1930, in an extended boat shed at Scarborough but silting meant it was difficult to launch the boat. By the middle of 1938 the direction of the channel, constant since 1847, changed and Scarborough was worsened as a launch site and, in March 1940, the Sumner pier boathouse was moved to Shag Rock. It was used for practise and operations outside the bar and remained in use until late 1962. Silting was a problem. However, by the late 1950s thoughts turned to a new Scarborough station and by 1962 the Christchurch City Council provided a boat-shed breakwater and Slipway.

In 1958 the Sumner Residents Association, The Christchurch Yacht Club, the Sumner Lifeboat Institution, and the Christchurch City Council agreed that the area be renamed Day's Harbour in Honour of the First Coxwain of the lifeboat. 

Sand dunes have filled the river valley behind the beach. Flooding at the head of the valley has been a problem in the past due to the reverse slope caused by the sand dunes filling the front of the valley. A flood drain exiting at Days (Bells) Harbour has addressed this.

A piece of wartime history retained at Scarborough.7tank.jpg (34590 bytes)

Saturday 4 November 2000. Three large pieces of concrete, designed as World War Two anti-tank roadblocks, are to be placed near the Sumner Lifeboat Institution rooms and retained as a reminder of the past. They were dumped into the sea in November 1943 along with others.

The Christchurch City Council pulled the concrete blocks from the Scarborough breakwater. During the war they were erected near the site of the present children’s swimming pool as tank traps. Other World War Two roadblocks are dumped around the district, but mostly broken. One raised is in good order despite being in the sea for 60 years. A plaque recording their significance will be adhered to the blocks by the Sumner-Redcliffs Historical Society.

 

Bells Baths at Sumner Nook at the base of Scarborough Hill, a stone shark protected enclosure was built many years ago, the remains of which can be seen today, it is still a popular place to swim with slight currents and warmer water inshore. The area has a children’s paddling pool, and play area close to the clock tower.

Boulder Bay Boulder Bay Walkway Picture Gallery E 172 47.80840 S 43 34.89202

Boulder Bay Track. Aprox 30 min one way it commences under the trees at the southeastern end of Taylor’s Mistake, at the end of Rotten Row. An easy walk on a good track to Boulder bay. There are large numbers of seabirds nesting around the cliffs from the track a large Shag colony is visible from S 43° 35.173’ E 172° 47.133. As you cannot view close up take Binoculars or a camera Video or Still with a good Zoom lens.

My Grandfather Fred Smith standing in hat and Great Uncles seated doing the dishes at Boulder Bay 1919. Note the crayfish being held by the other gentleman standing obviously headed for the pot.

I believe this may be the site which is now occupied by bach No3

The Clothing is interesting, people generally did not own casual clothing as we do today, but when "roughing it" would wear their worn out suits or formal clothing.

Fisheries Officers now regularly Patrol the Bay as signage there indicates.

The baches Stone End no1(blue) and Rosy Morn (cream) no 2 are well worth a visit, but remember these are private dwellings, they are stone and concrete construction no1 having been built by a former lighthouse keeper Hugh Yardley in 1931. Confirmed by the Sumner Historical Society. Over the years, it has been regularly used by five generations of the Roberts family.

   A general view of the bay

The informal and attractive character of the baches has been widely recognised by local artists and other groups throughout the years. For instance, a 1933 painting by the well-known New Zealand painter Rita Angus depicts the baches at Taylor’s Mistake, and the Sumner Art Gallery Sumner Village Mall has displayed for sale two large watercolour paintings by Marilyn Palmer, one of which shows some of the baches at Taylor’s Mistake and the other some of the baches at Boulder Bay. The Sumner Art Gallery nearly always has paintings by well-known artists on display of either the baches at Boulder Bay or at Taylor’s Mistake. Mr Max Robertson a Boulder Bay Bach owner for many years, was recently contacted by a representative of a film company, who had approached Christchurch and Canterbury Marketing Ltd seeking suggestions as to a suitable location for filming in a character seaside location. He was advised by the representative of the Film Company that the staff of CCML had suggested that they undertake filming at Taylor’s Mistake, because of the quaint setting of the baches there.

Birdlife abounds with feeders being placed for the cheeky seagulls some of the spectacular volcanic banding in the cliffs only accessable on low tides

a huge flight of terns which feed their young on the rocks.

There has been some suggestion since 1990 that a Penguin colony be established at Boulder Bay, however little progress has been made in assisting the "safe haven" required for such a colony to naturally establish itself. Hearings have been conducted before the Environment Court on this matter.

Captain Thomas Track The lower entry is sign posted prior to Van Ash College in Wakefield Ave a steep zig zag rises to the level of the old road then easy grades sometimes a little rough, to exit below Evans Pass which can be reached through Rapanui bush. S 43° 35.655’ E 172° 44.720

About half way up this track near Grahams waterfall is a track that leads down to Sumnervale Park for those not wishing to make the whole journey to the top.

Cave Rock  

The Maori name is Tuawera (killed by fire) and is a legend of love in Maori folk lore, in which the chief Turaki-Po who’s love for a girl from Akaroa named Hineao (Maid of Light) had a tragic ending. Spurned by the girl Turaki-Po who was a Tohunga placed a curse over the Maiden who subsequently died. Her Father Te Ake of Akaroa who was also a Tohunga retaliated, the story ends with the death of the sub tribe of Turaki-Po at Cave Rock or Tuawera.

S 43° 33.994 E 172° 45.585 13m asl. Cave Rock Surfcam 

Geologically a remnant of volcanic activity the feature evolving during the Pliocene period 10-15 million years ago when the volcanic activity of the Lyttelton volcano was subsiding. Lyttelton Harbour was formed 11 million years ago when a massive volcano erupted and the sea filled its crater.

The volcano was some three times the height as it is today, the climate during this period was cool and moist, and erosion of the volcano's flanks occurred by short, fast flowing streams, which eroded and drowned the central areas of the Lyttelton volcano forming Lyttelton Harbour. Intensive wave and tidal action has resulted in the formation of Cave Rock.

The Lifeboat Watchtower is a well-known landmark of the area with a well worn track to the top. The remains of the signal fire grate can be seen on the flat rocks to the seaward of Cave Rock only as three rusty points hammered into the rock. The original lifeboat "Rescue" was stored in a cave on the north side of the rock. It was housed in an in a corrugated iron shed with a wooden slip way to the water, here it remained until 1903 when the station was based at Shag rock.

Mussel Rock is the name given by locals to the most seaward of the group near cave rock. It is only accessible at very low tides caution must be exercised, as there are very strong currents around these rocks.

Beacon Rock is a name given to one of the rocks in the area, the outer one of the three rocks alongside Mussel Rock. Two Beacons existed, the iron supports for the inner beacon are visible although cut off flush, on the flat rock imediatelt to the north of cafe rock

The remains of the Wreck of the "Volunteer" in the 1940,s on the seaward side of cave rock was visible in the 1950’s when tides exposed the beams of a small ship.

One wonders how the shells arrived on the east face of the rock. Having visited similar sites in the dunes north of Waitangi on the Chatham Islands, and a huge Midden pile on the gulf of Mexico in Florida which research shows took 15,000 years to accumulate. I would assume pre Europeans would have gathered on the warmth of the rock, out of the wind, to consume shellfish gathered from the surf.

 Charlesworth St Reserve & Tidal Wetlands.

Excavators at work forming new islands and channels on the next phase of the Charlesworth St Reserve & Tidal Wetlands. This work is to extend the present wetlands on Humphries drive, and to enhance the safe environment for wading birds to feed and roost on the fringes of the estuary. This is to complement the other sanctuaries on the estuary such as the McCormack’s bay reserve. 13 August 2003

 

Sumner's Clock Tower was completed in 1935 and presented to the Sumner borough Council in 1938.. The foundation stone of the clock tower was laid on 14 Dec. 1934
 Portions of the sea wall was built by depression labour between 1931 and 1934 are visible near the clock tower. The beach was badly scoured in the 1950’s and the protective rubble put down to prevent erosion. At that point with the installation of the present sea wall the Sumner Surf club’s pavilion was moved to St Leonards Square where it serves as the Rugby and Cricket clubhouse.

Cob Cottage This is a little known Christchurch historical site as there are no signs to indicate its existence. Captain James Penfold built the original building in the 1860’s. The story goes that after his schooner ran aground on the Sumner Bar, Penfold helped construct the Ferrymead railway line and then built this place with timber framing that came from the wreck. After falling into disrepair the building was reconstructed in the 1940s by Ernest Parish. It has some period furniture inside it.

S 43° 33.482 E 172° 42.605

                        

Crater Rim Track Leave your car at Evans Pass car park, and walk a short distance up the summit road to the start of the track, be prepared for a stiff climb, rewarded with spectacular views as you get higher toward the anti aircraft battery. Take warm clothing, as wind-chill is noticeable even in summer. Bush above Lyttelton crosses Bridle path. Crater Rim Track Picture Gallery  Aprox 2 ½ hours return to the bridle path.

Edwin Mouldy Track Entry is at the Scarborough end of Nayland St rising steeply to Scarborough road, connecting to other Scarborough tracks please note some tracks are private.

Eight mile Marker This milestone is the only one remaining in Christchurch the stone was placed in sumner eight miles from Victoria Square. It is now positioned outside the administration block of Sumner School Colenso Street Sumner  Two other markers exist one mile markers exist near the hospital and one near Fitzgerald Ave.

Estuary Walkway The entry is from the sweeping bend on Humphries Drive opposite the Charlesworth St Wetlands development the walkway is through wetlands with significant birdlife.There is a carpark which is mainly used by Wind and Kite surfers.The Windsurf Area on Humphries drive an area is designated for non powered craft. It has Public Toilets and Shower.

Evans Pass Reserve (Rapanui Reserve). School children and youth groups planted this reserve on both sides of the road in the 1950s. There was a stone marker installed in 2001 at Evans Pass in commemoration. S 43° 35.621’ e 172° 44.939

Farm Track Scarborough. Close to this track which connects the summit road with Scarborough Road is a car park, near which is a popular spot for hang gliders and para gliders to launch. If sufficient height is gained a popular landing spot is Clifton beach at Sumner.

Radio controlled gliders are often launched from the quarry near here. For more infomation on this very addictive hobby visit Canterbury Sailplanes on the web at http://www.canterburysailplanes.co.nz/ 

Flowers Track part of the network of tracks on Scarborough the public walkway enters from Scarborough Road above Days (Bells) Harbour just up the hill from the intersection with Whitewash head Road. A stiff climb up to Nicholson Park at the summit but with rewarding vistas on the way.

Frog Pond This is the site of a reservoir on Richmond Hill, where a Dam was placed across the upper Richmond Hill stream. The spot has been known for many years by locals as "The Frog Pond", Co-ordinates S 43° 34.669 E 172° 44.530. Best reached from Panorama Rd and Revelation drive, or follow the Richmond Hill Valley up, skirting the waterfall you find on this route

Gethsemane Gardens is a "must visit". Perched high on the side of Clifton Hill, Sumner, Christchurch (NZ), it offers amazing views of the Pacific Ocean, the snowy peaks of the Southern Alps, and Christchurch City.

This garden is special for more than its magnificent vistas and luxuriant plantings. It is a romantic and spiritual place - a place for the renewal of the soul. www.gethsemanegardens.co.nz

Godley Head (Cachalot Head or Awaroa) S 43° 35.307 E 172° 47.942 158m asl.

Godley Head was known to the Maori as either Awaroa (long channel) or Kotokitoki (very calm), although it was little used by them. There are references to a small Pa site well back from the headland; the problems for settlement as Europeans experienced would have been the lack of water and exposure to wind on the headland.

Godley head is clearly the most important historical site in the area given its strategic position at the harbour entry as the site of a Lighthouse, and the site of military activity since the "Russian Scare" of the 1890’s

The first European name for Godley Head of Cape Cachalot was given by a French whaler Captain Langlois about 1838 who is reported to have nearly wrecked his ship on the headland. Whalers and early settlers continued to use this name until 1900 when it was renamed Godley Head. The provincial council named it a reserve in the early 1850’s

Godley Head Lighthouse

In 1849 Capt. Thomas reported the site a suitable for a lighthouse in 1849, but it was not until the late 1850’s that construction commenced, the keepers cottage and lighthouse were completed in 1865. The light was visible for 29 nautical miles in clear conditions, being a total of 138meters above sea level. Locally Quarried stone was used. It is one mile from Godley Head to Adderly Head on the east side of the harbour.

Until the middle of the 1920’s the station was supplied from a jetty at Mechanic’s Bay, when road improvements about 1928 allowed supply by Road.

Associated with the lighthouse was a fog signal, worked by explosives and operated by the lighthouse keeper, who had to negotiate a difficult and dangerous track down to the water's edge where the signal was located. In 1927 this explosive signal was replaced by a diaphone type signal and re-sited near the lighthouse. There is a "whistling Buoy" moored off the Head (a wave motion actuated air whistle).

The stone lighthouse and keepers cottage were in the area needed by the Godley battery for a clear field of fire so the keepers cottage was relocated behind the Taylor battery, about 1942 a second assistant keepers cottage was built close by, the earthworks are clearly visible today. At aprox S 43° 34.995 E 172° 47.997

The light mechanism was moved some 30 meters down the cliff face and mounted on a new tower about 100 m above high water. In 1946 it was transferred to mains power and was automated in 1976.

The light house is now out of bounds to the General Public

 

Godley Battery

There were many talks, proposals and visits on the military use of the headland, but it was not until early in 1938 a British army officer, Major Edney R.E., toured New Zealand advising the Government on the development of coastal defence batteries. As part of his tour he visited Godley Head with Colonel Parkinson R.N.Z.A. and made an initial siting of the six inch guns. This resulted in the relocation of the lighthouse and cottage.Visit the site of the old army camp Public Toilets at the car park.

Radar was installed and operating, how it failed to identify the German raider Adjutant as she laid a pattern of ten magnetic mines close off Lyttelton Heads on the night of June the 24th 1941 is unknown.

Nothing was known of this enemy activity until four years later after the war, when it was revealed in captured German documents. None of the mines were ever found.

It is well worth the effort to take the track down to the tunnel, which is lit by light from side tunnels, to the searchlight positions at sea level

1989-3godleyttunnelside20.jpg (24549 bytes) 1989-3godleytunnel20.jpg (36541 bytes)

The Godley Battery consisted of three emplacements two covered, one open, on Godley Head, each with individual underground magazines some of these caverns hollowed out of the solid rock are open to the public. Ammunition was raised to the upper levels by a continuous belt electric hoist.Visit the upper gun emplacements, some of the storage caverns hollowed out of the solid rock are open. Take a good torch. The other deeper ones are dangerous and are closed to the public except on rare open days.

Enjoy views of Adderly head on the other side of the harbour from this track

A bogus Battery consisting of two telegraph poles and tarpaulins were mounted above Boulder Bay during WW2 but the wind soon dispensed with the tarpaulins and the deception was abandoned

Godley head has become popular as a venue for overnight music festivals in summer months 

Taylor Battery the Lower Gun Emplacements S 43° 34.993 E 172° 48.106

Known as the Taylor Battery site containing a 2 gun 6in Battery, the position offers commanding views of the outer bays and along Pegasus Bay. The site is a short sidetrack off the main walkway leading from Boulder Bay up to Godley Head.

Six days after the outbreak of war (9th of September 1939), thirty gunners with two carriage mounted Mk.III 60 pounder World War One field guns arrived at Godley Head from Trentham Camp, near Wellington. Alternatively reported as coming from Burnham. They immediately set up the guns several hundred metres north of the intended main Battery position this being known as Taylor Battery.

When the RNZN decided not to equip a second armed merchant cruiser it made two of its intended weapons available to the Army for Godley Head provided they were mounted in areas the Navy considered appropriate for defence.

The Taylor Battery was operational by July of 1941. Being only a temporary Battery, Taylor had neither engine room nor magazine. Ready use lockers were embedded in the rear of each gun platform, reserve ammunition and cartridges were stored under canvas nearby. Conditions for the crews being somewhat Spartan living under canvas, and in trenches.

A basic Battery observation post was set up between and to the rear of the two 6 inch guns.

The initial firing of the Taylor Battery had an unexpected reaction from the PWSS. The concussion from the gun's muzzle blast shattered the station's fibre-cement sheaving, forcing the Navy to move the station further up the hill towards the Godley Head Battery site and out of harms way

The Battery remained operational for a little over six months before the first of the Godley guns came into service. The Taylor guns were then dismounted and were reported to have gone to the Bay of Islands. The Army made an unsuccessful attempt to blow up the northern most gun platform. Damage to No 1 gun pit was probably the result of this Army demolition exercise after the position was abandoned in 1942.

The concrete pads from which the guns were fired are still visible and were recently restored by the Godley Trust.

The site is a short side track off the main walkway leading from Boulder Bay up to Godley Head.

Watch for hectors dolphins feeding along the shoreline inside the heads.In the Picture note the Canterbury Cat returning to Lyttelton From one of its regular sightseeing trips.

Godley Head Heritage Trust

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/peterwil/godleyhead/

Gollan Point (Clifton)(commonly known as Mr Whippy Corner) Sumner Beach signposted 2004 by Christchurch City Council

Gondola Heathcote Valley Free shuttle from Chch Visitors Center 10am, noon, 2pm, 4pm. +64 3 384 0700 www.gondola.co.nz  

Harris Bay

This is the name for a somewhat rocky stretch of coastline a little nearer Taylor’s than Mistake than Boulder Bay. Access is off the main Boulder Bay track it is not sign posted, so watch for the Green vermin proof fence erected on the cliff edge as protection for Penguins nesting below the cliffs. Ensure the Gate is bolted when entering and leaving the enclosure. Take care on the steps down to the water although solidly built, they are VERY steep.

The Archbold family originally owned the cave Bach now largely demolished, it was bach no 11.

It was sold in the early 1950’s to Frank Waters, a bricklayer who worked for Geoff de Thier.Frank substantially upgraded the Bach, and lived there full time, walking in and out each day to work in Sumner.

His bricklaying skills are evident from the remaining chimney and foundations. A concrete foundation next to the sea had a derrick mounted on it for launching and recovering his dinghy. To the east of the accommodation is a small cave, which was used as a tool shed.

DCP_0157harrisbaysteps.jpg (117181 bytes)  DCP_0148toolshedharrisbay.jpg (151713 bytes)  DCP_0150archboldharrisbay.jpg (152924 bytes)   DCP_0152maxrarchboldwatersharrisbay.jpg (91547 bytes)  

Frank was diagnosed with cancer, and left the Bach in the mid 1970’s to live in a Council pensioner flat in Beachville Road, but he only lived for about a year after leaving Harris Bay.

Heathcote Bridge Charles Crawford ran an early ferry service from a site close to the site of The Heathcote Arms this was taken over by Thomas Hughes who ran the hotel, he ran a cattle punt on the river in May 1851. Brown and Le Cren took over the business and carried it on until Heathcote bridge was built in 1864. Since ferry charges were high many people walked to Opawa and Forded the river there.

The bridge opened in April 1864 and was designed so the central section could be swung at right angles leaving two clear openings of 10 meters for the passage of ketches, cutters and small steamers wishing to progress up river to the wharves there.DCP_0121Firstheathcotebridgerevolvingcenter.jpg (59033 bytes)

This bridge took the steam trams to Sumner from 1888.

The Wrought Iron revolving center section now spans the Heathcote river between Centaurus Road and Eastern Terrace opposite Bowenvale Ave

This bridge was in use until 1907 when due the extra weight of the electric trams it was replaced by a new cantilever bridge (drawbridge) in 1907 but did not work as intended, so was never utilised for that purpose.

According to a report from the Tramway Historical Society on the new bridge " It was built to be a lifting bridge to allow ships to navigate the Heathcote River. On the occasion of the opening of the electric tramline to Sumner, the bridge was lifted but could not be put back down again. Some considerable time elapsed before the bridge could be re seated into a nice smooth tram-negotiable roadway and tramway and this only, we understand, after considerable belting and bashing and brute force had been applied! The bridge was never again lifted. "

The present bridge due for replacement 2005.

                     

These pictures taken by the author of the old bridge in 1965 or 1966 show the piles being driven for the new bridge opened 1967.

Heathcote Quarry Park Take Bridle path Road from the Ferrymead bridge and watch for the sign on the left in a built up area. Parking is limited to a couple of places, and watch for traffic while turning.

The park has a couple of delightful flat areas some 200 meters up the hill where the quarry was, and offers great views of the city over Ferrymead historic park. Quite unusual views of Heathcote and the gondola station up the valley. S 43° 34.275 E 172° 42.828 Aprox

Heathcote Wharf A stone Bollard stands at the approximate site of Heathcote wharf near the tunnel road roundabout. The little creek beside the Bollard was used to assist turning larger vessels too long for the width of the river. Can someone supply the name? This was the second Wharf on the Heathcote and opened March 1st 1852, it became popularly known as "Steam Wharf" as it was generally regarded as the highest point of navigation for steamers. However Steamers such as the "Mullogh" a regular on the river did venture up further, on occasions having to back down to "Steam Wharf" to turn.

Hobsons Bay is the small bay next to Taylors mistake it contains a number of Kiwi baches this one sitting on top of an old World War 2 Fortification.

Heritage Trail Start near the Tennis and Squash Club in Heberdine Ave and rise to the top of Scarborough, then descend into Taylor’s Mistake.

Jollies Bush Summit Road a 30 Min walk. 3km from Evans Pass 2 km from Mt Pleasant road S 43° 35.260 E 172° 44.330 Jollie was the surveyor chosen by Captain Thomas to carry out the surveying of the rural sections in Sumner.

McCormacks Bay Contains some sports grounds, horse hitching rails, it is divided from the main portion of the estuary by the causeway carrying traffic from the Easturn suburbs to Christchurch, Islands were formed in this sheltered area in the 1990’s as a bird sanctuary.

Moa Bone Point Cave. Was a focal point of pre European settlement. Redcliffs excavated by Canterbury museum 1958. Charles Torless in 1851 wrote in the Lyttelton Times that "moa remains were abundant on the surface, resulting from native feasts". In 1849 a party from the survey ship Acheron dug for moa bones in the area

.

The commemorative Plaque was completed and donated by Bruce Robertson Monumental Mason 1980

Moncks Cave was reopened 11th September 1889, after being covered by a slip for 100’s of years. A number of artefacts were found in the cave, which indicated the last inhabitants were from a north island tribe.

Moncks Bay Gunnery Emplacement 50 meters west of the Christchurch Yacht club The Plaque reads "One of a series of Coastal Defences built around the Canterbury coastline during the second world war 1939 to 1945 as a defence against the invasion of the Axis forces of Japan and Germany. Dedicated to all those who served in the New Zealand Armed Forces 1935-45"

       

Moncks Bay Beach a small beach next to the yacht club launching ramp. Popular for swimming with locals. Be very careful of the outgoing tide.

Mulgan’s Track the entry is tucked away next to Clifton hill in Moncks bay, and is a popular track for residents Busing into the city, it rises steeply, and ends in Kinsey Terrace

Mt Pleasant Trig station  499m asl (Tauhinukorokio) Take the road 100 m toward the gondola station from the junction of Mt Pleasant road and Summit Road. Close Gates as you go, an easy short walk to the trig station. Magnificent 360 degree vistas of the plains Alps and peninsula. A Must Visit spot. S 43° 35.324 E 172° 43.632 The peak is named after 2 shrubs grown there. It was the site of an ancient Pa on the site of the old Major Hornbrook homestead. The flat location was suited to growing root crops such as Korau and the now extinct Pora or Pohata. These sweet roots were sun dried then stored in pits in the manner of potatoes and Kumara.

Nicholson Park Contains a small playground and a number of viewing places to admire Sumner and Pegasus bays with the plains beyond. The pathway descends in a gradual slope to either the whitewash head track, or via Flowers Track to sea level at Bells Harbour. As one adult "swinger" states it has swings with the best view in the world!

Old School Reserve Major Hornbrook Road

Paradise Cave S 43° 34.594 E 172° 44.002 www.geocaching.com A short hike up the Barnet Park walkway in Redcliffs, this is an interesting SideTrack. A pleasant walk over the playing fields, then take the right hand path of the walkway. I have lived in the area all my life and had this cave pointed out to me by a 17yo from California who visited us in July 2002.

In winter the sidetrack is slippery and you will hear the sound of a delightful waterfall at the Redcliffs end of the cave. Beware of the stinging nettle on your clamber up and down the hillside.

The main cave shows signs of pre European inhabitation, and is a favourite of local rock climbers. What cracked us up was the sight of a skilled climber with a glue gun high up, cementing loose rocks in place.

Note there is another Cache at the top cave on the Barnet Park track

Dcp_0130paradisecave.jpg (73001 bytes) Dcp_0129paradisecave.jpg (73027 bytes)

Parnham Reserve
Santa Maria Ave / Selleck St Area of Park: 2,126 square metres Perimeter of Park: 209 metres

Peacocks Gallop A very pleasant reserve at the base of Clifton hill cliffs opposite Shag Rock this can be hired as a wedding venue from the parks and reserves Christchurch City Council. It is one of the oldest city place names. According to a family relative John Jenkins Peacock was a sydney merchant who when traveling between Lyttelton  and Christchurch via Sumner on horseback, would gallop this track as he was afraid of falling rocks from the cliff.

Rapaki Bay Lyttelton Harbour E 172 40.45431 S 43 36.24152

Rabbit problem the port hills were no exception when the rabbit population explosion occurred. From early in the 1870's the growing rabbit threat up to the 1990’s has caused considerable economic damage to the economy of New Zealand.

Being a regular on the Sumner Running Club’s Boulder Bay Run Through Taylor’s mistake up to Godley Head, round the summit road to The farm track, or Evans pass and Captain Thomas track, one would expect to see 200 rabbits or so, sometimes almost stepping on them. Now even a sighting of a rabbit is rare.

Numerous methods were tried to eliminate the problem.

The introduction of the Weasel and the Stoat, as a natural predator, has had devastating effects on the native bird populations particularly the Kiwi that has little protection against these killing machines. Various poisoning and shooting programmes were tried, including the famous central Otago "Easter Bunny Hunt" with little real success.

A group of enterprising farmers in the upper Waitaki Valley fed up with escalating control costs and the bureaucracy in true kiwi fashion adopted their own solution. Import the calici virus disease from Australia and "do it yourself".

In an environment of the utmost secrecy the virus was illegally imported and tested. Quite literally with the old kitchen whiz, in secluded woolsheds. A great deal of secrecy surrounded the distribution of the product, rumour has it that some was even placed in an air drop of carrots laced with 1080 poison, by a local rabbit board. The result is the rabbit problem throughout the country has disappeared.

Rapanui Reserve below the Sumner side car park at Evans Pass a small bush reserve commenced planting in the 1950’s

Redcliffs Park This is a small park serving the community near the slip way at Beachville Road, it has a children’s play area Sporting field, and Public Toilets on a walkway that leads from the park to the main road opposite Moa Bone Cave

Redhouse 186 Main Road Redcliffs. A Historic house used for a retail outlet.                                                         .    

History of Redhouse

The house was originally built between 1865-66 in Oxford Tce on the site where Tiffany's Restaurant now stands. Here it was part of St Michael's Church and also rumoured to at some point to have been owned by Christ's College where a master would have lived there.

In 1907 it was moved from the site to spend the next 90 years in Armagh St where it is remembered as Mother Hubbard's. During it's time in Armagh St, in the earlier days, the building was used as a shop dwelling where a small business would have been housed in the downstairs front room and the family would have lived in the back part of the house and slept upstairs.

In the 90 years in Armagh St it was used for many varying businesses such as Book Binder and Printer's, Bike Shop, Antique Shop, Second hand clothes Shop and even talk of it being a brothel.

Then in 1997 the building was in a very sad state and was going to be demolished. When Peter Croft bought the building and had it moved to the site where she has come to rest at 186 Main Road, Redcliffs.

Here the building was restored to the original state, with most of the building being of the original or of that era.

In it's six years in Redcliffs, it has always been a shop or gallery, with it now being open six days a week for people to wander through the entire house and enjoy the building, it's character, history and treasures inside.

Some of the rooms are themed on them being part of the house, where you will find kitchen items and gourmet goodies in the kitchen, baby items in the nursery, bedroom treasures in the bedroom, and also housing a small gallery upstairs,

The front room downstairs containing contemporary items including jewellery and the backroom consisting of yesteryear treasures.

Richmond Hill Cave Situated on the hillside above the RSA Building in Wakefield Avenue. I recall my parents who moved into the area in 1943 relating the story of Skeletons of Maori children and a dog found in a cave and Tuatara Lizards on the cliffs on Richmond Hill.

James Cowan in his book reports as follows on Caves in the area "Richmond Hill Cave situated behind the Marine Hotel on the property of Mr SK Basset who when cutting a track down the cliff found signs of a cave. A few feet from the top he found decayed flax baskets, shells and an Umu or oven, the roof being blackened by smoke.

Bones found included the most complete skeleton of a Maori dog (Kuri) and the bones of an infant boy and girl. The Cave may well have been to house watchers for invaders. Were the parents killed or captured? Or did a slip come down and the infants abandoned?

Mr Bassett reports seeing 2 full sized Tuatara lizards about 18 inches in length fighting down the cliff side. Mr James who had seen these lizards frequently when he was in the employ of the lighthouse service, has also seen evidence of the frequenting of the Richmond Hill cliffs by these reptiles near the Sumner Bowling Club"

Richmond Hill Machine Gun Nests

Two WW2 Machine Gun Nests are situated in the cliff above the Marine Hotel. To a careful observer they are visible if one stands outside the Community Center and follows about 1/3 and ½ way up the ridgeline. An underground dugout, on the second bend of Richmond Hill Road supported them. The remains of a concrete tank trap are visible on the guttering and railing at this bend.

Ripapa Island E 172 45.25856 S 43 37.20649 Rippa4.jpg (15163 bytes)While Ripapa Island in Lyttelton Harbour is not strictly part of the Sumner to Ferrymead area, it did form an integral part of the harbour defence network.The Island was fortified by Maori tribes.

During the Russian invasion scares, which commenced about 1885, fortifications were considered. Sir William Jervois, a Governor General for New Zealand from 1883 – 1889, while a serving officer in the Royal Engineers, had written a report on the countries' coastal defence needs. In 1886 the Fort was built and named Fort Jervois after Sir William. The 4 "Armstrong" Disappearing Guns (6" and 8") were fitted to the fort in 1888, the barrels and fortifications still being in good condition.

The German raider Count Felix Von Lukner was imprisoned there in 1914 to 1918 war.

2001marfortjervoisdisapearinggunlarger8inch20.jpg (61232 bytes)  

Scarborough Tracks A number of track criscross the hill some are private.

Shag Rock (Rapanui) Do not swim in this area it has very dangerous currents as a huge volume of water enters and leaves the estuary on each tide. Swim in the patrolled area on Clifton beach. These pictures were taken from upper Major Hornbrook road on 19th March 2000 the weekend before the old lifeboat shed showing in the picture was demolished to make way for the Rapanui Viewing area now in its place. It was used from March 1940, however sand blocking the Slipway at low tide for 3 hours caused the removal of the lifeboat to Days (Bells) Harbour Scarborough to a council provided shed and Slipway in 1962. TS Cornwall cadets used the shed after the lifeboat's departure. E 172 45.02335 S 43 33.81733

     

    

Sod Cottage next to Mt Pleasant yacht club refer Cob Cottage

Scott of Antarctic fame -Captain Robert Falcon Scott DCP_0066robertfalconscott.jpg (94021 bytes) was present in the Sumner area in the early 1900’s on his visits to New Zealand prior to his Antarctic expeditions. His wife was an accomplished painter, she lived on Kinsey Terrace during Scott’s absences and painted the seabirds hanging in the wind over the cliffs to while away the time. His widow designed the Statue of Scott in Worcester Street Christchurch commemorating the death of Scott’s party.

The inscription reads "Robert Falcon Scott Captain Royal Navy who died returning from the South Pole 1912 with AE Wilson, HR Bowers, LE Coates, E Evans. I do not regret this journey, which shows that Englishmen can endure hardships, help one another and meet death with as much fortitude as ever in the past"

In the Portsmouth Naval Dockyard

Captain Robert Falcon Scott RN CVO born 6th June 1868 died about 29 March 1912 during his return from the south pole in his journal found 8 months later he wrote "the gale is howling about us we are weak writing is difficult but for my own sake I do not regret this journey which has shown that Englishmen can endure hardships help one another and meet death with as great a fortitude as ever in the past we took risks we knew we took them things have come out against us and therefore we have no cause for complaint but bow to the will of providence determined to do our best to the end" Scott was found some 10 miles from his next depot.

 

Summit Road commences or terminates as your view might be at Godley head see Jollies’s Bush Reserve

Sumner was Surveyed and named in 1849 in honour of Dr John Bird Sumner; the then newly appointed Archbishop of Canterbury and president of the Canterbury Association. While at University Sumner was apparently nicknamed "Crumpet Sumner" due to his face being badly marked by smallpox.

The Sumner Town Board operated frm 1883 to 1891 when the Sumner Borough Council operated until 1st April 1945 covering the area from  Godley Head to Heathcote, it was amalgamated with the city of Christchurch in 1945 as communications improved and the economies of scale made small town boroughs uneconomic to operate.

Surveyed in 1849 by Captain Thomas and settled in late 1849 or early 1850 by work crews building the road to Port Cooper, now Lyttelton, Sumner is thus one of the oldest European settlements in the Christchurch area. The first building was a storeroom for materials for Captain Thomas’s Sumner Road and was built by Charles Crawford a whaleboat owner who transported material under contract for Thomas.

Members of the Day family were the first permanent residents of Sumner, followed by Edward Dobson who built on what is the Marine hotel site. Their land extended to the site of the Masonic Lodge Hall, and to the boundary of the Richmond Hill golf course.

 

Sumner Bar The Sumner Bar is notoriously dangerous with the volume of water that passes over it each tide. The Bar at full tide normally draws 4’6" or 1.37m, restricting the size of vessel that can negotiate it.

One regular vessel crossing the bar in the early days was the Mullogh New Zealand’s first Iron Hulled Steamer. This was an Iron Hulled Steam driven Ketch overall length 60ft with a beam of 15ft. It had a registered tonnage of 69.3 ton gross 46.13 net and could carry a cargo of 60 ton. It carried a crew of 5, and on trips over the bar would normally carry a ¾ cargo. Her horizontal cylinder produced 15horse power. Coats and Young built Mullogh in 1855 at Belfast Ireland. She was still in survey 9 may 1922 ending her long working life as a fishing boat in 1923. 

She now rests in the Ship's Graveyard on the west side of Quail Island her ribs and boiler still visible a century and a half after her construction. In this 1983 photo, lower left.19832quailshipsgraveyard20.jpg (31761 bytes) Ships in the picture are Lyttelton left closer to viewer. Center Rear "La Plata" a Norwegan Barque, "Frank Guy" a 3 masted Australian Barquentine, "Darra" A Tea Clipper Wooden planked on Iron Ribs, the gap in the ribs was caused by an army attempt at demolition in the 50's. This ship was used in the 1950 Centennial Celebrations dressed up to represent the first immigrant ship "Charlotte Jane", closest is "Waiwera". The "Belle Isle" is out of picture, a Bristol built Tea clipper. Wooden Nails are visible in the remains.

She was used as a sailing ship tender, a tug, a coastal trader, and a transport for passengers and cargo from Lyttelton over the treacherous Sumner Bar to the Heathcote Wharves. Mullogh made several trips to Hokitika with supplies for Gold miners there.

Mullogh arrived at Lyttelton in 1859 carrying cargo at 25/- per ton. Mullogh was a regular caller at Kaiapoi.

March 14 1863 Mullogh rescued the crew of the Elizabeth a ketch with a cargo of coal, which struck the north, spit of the Sumner bar and sank.

August 25th 1865 Disaster struck when Mullogh ran onto rocks off cave rock in violent surf. She was run onto North Spit to save her sinking in mid channel. Her Cargo of liquor created keen interest in beach combing, 28 barrels were eventually recovered and put into bond by the Lyttelton Customs officer. Early September she was re-floated but sank in mid channel, in mid November she was salvaged and repaired.

One cargo of note that she carried over the Sumner bar was the statue of John Robert Godley that now stands in Cathedral Square in Christchurch.

Sumner Beach sumner_beach.jpg (42532 bytes) from Shag Rock to Scarborough breakwater 400m reserved for swimmers, wind surfing, surf boards, and craft powered by oar or paddle. Patrolled area is on Clifton Beach. "swim between the flags"

Sumner Community Pool public time 2-4 PM weekends October to March Summer Keys available. Lifeguard on duty 98-99 season.

Sumner Gas Works From 1913 the Sumner Borough Council operated its own Gas works which closed in 1960. The site now occupied by Pensioner flats on the corner of Truro Street and Wakefield Avenue. Reticulation was widespread with properties on Richmond and Clifton hills being connected. I recall my parents purchasing Coke for their open fire from the Works. The Plant closed in the early 1950’s after Amalgamation with the City Council. Electricity was supplied to redcliffs in 1917 and later to Sumner being generated from Lake Colleridge.

Sumnervale Park and play area with a track joining the Captain Thomas walkway. A pony club operates from here. See Clubs.

Sumner Surf Cub Car Park This is a small off road park often used by camper vans to rest and enjoy a close view of Clifton beach. Public Toilet Facilities are close by in the Surf Club Building

Sumner Pier The pier which was built in 1883, ran from the stone steps where the restaurant "On the Beach" is now, and housed the original lifeboat rescue up to 1930 after its move from Cave rock. The Pier housed the Sumner Surf Club for a short period in the early 1950’s after beach erosion necessitated the removal of the old surf club building, before the new clubhouse was constructed on Clifton beach.

147piersurfclubbandrotundacaverock.jpg (117628 bytes)  15pierfromcaverock.jpg (78105 bytes)

These shots show the remains of the pier with the temporary Sumner Surf Club buildings next to the Pier Tearooms. The band Rotunda is visible behind the tearooms. Taken about 1957.

Sumner Road To Lyttelton construction of this link to Sumner was commenced in 1849 with the arrival of the first laborours from the north. It soon became obvious that the road from Lyttelton via Sumner to Christchurch would not be finished by the time of the arrival of the first 4 ships, a track was cut over the hill to Heathcote. This being known as "The Bridle Path". Parts of the sumner Road still run along Thomas's origional survey, on the Sumner side of the hill, it forms a popular walkway access from Wakefield Avenue.

A tunnel some 15 chains long was to have been driven to the lyttelton side, however more rockwork on the lyttelton side was done, and a steep zig zag on the sumner side were substituted. A steepening of the road is still noticeable on the sumner side today. The road was opened in 1858.

Sumner tramway In 1888 the tramway company invested 8,000 pounds laying tracks from the ferry bridge to the far end of nayland street. Trams ceased running to Sumner in the early 1950's

St Leonard’s Square venue for cricket and rugby. Note the pavilion was the Sumner Surf Club previously located half way along Scarborough Beach, and was relocated in the 1950’s, when the Scarborough and Clifton beaches eroded badly and the present sea wall and rock protection areas were commenced

Tamaki Maori Village Ferrymead

This in depth Cultural experience based around a reconstructed pre-settlement Maori village will be modelled on the lines of Mike and Doug Tamaki’s Rotorua operation, is planned as part of a City Council move to develop the Heathcote Valley Park at Ferrymead.

Wetlands, sports grounds, reconstruction of the 1907 to 1964 Ferrymead Bridge, and golf driving range are part of the overall City Council plan

http://www.maoriculture.co.nz

Taylor’s Mistake The Surf Club is located at S43 34.987' E172 46.569'. 

The bay was originally called Vincent’s Bay in 1857 after a Captain John Vincent sailing from Kaiapoi for the estuary, who wrecked a Schooner there being driven in by rough weather.

There was an early incident reported as follows. The ship "Gwalior" left England in April 1853, on the 16th April the ships Captain Davidson threw himself overboard, and the ship was taken over by the chief officer Taylor, who sailed the ship to New Zealand, the passage taking 200 days. It is possible that this now Captain Taylor anchored the "Gwalior" in the bay it being named in his honour, presumably Davidson having made the mistake. However the bay was known as Taylor’s mistake as early as 1853 named that way in the coastal directory as "Taylor’s Mistake sometimes mistaken for Sumner bay".

In 1858 Taylor’s Mistake was the generally adopted name after a Captain Taylor of the United States Ship Volga who is said to have mistaken the bay for the entrance of Lyttelton Harbour. There is also a Captain Taylor of the ship Chrystolite who has been attributed as having the bay named after him. It is unlikely these two later incidents caused the naming.

The Maori name is Te One Poto (Little Beach). 

There is the famous incident of "The Case of the missing hand" which is the subject of a cache on www.geocaching.com for modern day GPS enthusiasts.

The first europeans are reported to have camped there in the early 1890's. Dwellings were commenced in the late 1890's, a dozen baches were reported to have been set up in 1910 alone, there commenced a long running battle with the Sumner Borough Council, and from 1945 with the Christchurch City Council for the right to remain there. In recent years a compromise appears to have been reached with some batches to go, and land being allocated to those occupiers.

Taylor’s Mistake walkway start at the lifeboat shed taking Whitewash Head (aptly named after the seabirds presence) enjoying the vistas below then arrive on the right at

Taylor’s Mistake Spur Track (Return to Sumner) from here you can continue on to Taylor’s Mistake, or take the right turn up to Scarborough road and descend through Nicholson Park to join up with the top of Whitewash Head Road. Flowers Track joins up part way down this track, and is a slightly more direct route. There is a Public Toilet block, and water in Nicholson Park.

Taylor’s Mistake Spur Track ( Continue to Taylor's Mistake) Top entry from the car park at Nicholson Park follows the cliffline from Nicholson Park entry through gullies, passes Giants Eye. At low tide you can walk across the rocks to Taylor’s Mistake proper or take the Upper public track, which passes, amongst the houses, exiting close to the Taylor’s Mistake surf club.

   

The Causeway There were in fact three causeways the Sumner side of Heathcote Bridge. The first and what we know today as The Mcormacks Bay Causeway running from Morton’s Jetty to the cutting at Moa Bone Point Cave commenced in 1932 and opened in 1941. The second from Shag Rock to the point to the west of Clifton Bay completed in 1939, and the third across Clifton bay, into Sumner completed in 1953 in time for the arrival of the buses. The latter two had bridges for the trams, which were replaced by stone causeways. 

The Clifton Bay Bridge is now beneath the Sumner Surf Club Car Park. In all cases the old main roadway ran round the back of each bay. In the case of Peacocks Gallop and on the West Side of Clifton Bay the old roadway is clearly visible today. It was realigned in the early 1950’s.

The Causeway was built in 1907 with the introduction of electric trams and the new bridge at Heathcote.

The roadway was added in the 1932-1941, It was called the "Christchurch Sumner Lyttelton Motukarara Highway" in Government records to obtain funding for depression labour. 

The tramway embankment used to carry rock from the Quarries at the base of Balmoral hill  to the center of the causeway is is visible from the middle culvert of the causeway, and runs with a slight curve to the quarries. The playing fields of McCormacks Bay cover about half of this embankment. The stone from the Redclifffs end came from "the Cutting", and the Mount Pleasant end from Major Hornbrook Road.

Some houses are built on the quarry, one cut having a water reservoir.

The causeway roadway was opened to the public in 1942, I recall the locals who were issued speeding tickets on this piece of roadway being highly indignant years later when it was discovered that the Roadway had never been constituted a legal road. Did they get the fines back? I somewhat doubt it.

Time Ball Station at Lyttelton is on Sumner Road and was to signal the sighting of new arrivals and as a time signal to set ships chronometers by. The Ships master would compare the local time with Greenwich Mean Time to calculate his latitude. Accurate time keeping was essential and chronometers were checked at every opportunity. Longitude was calculated by simple Geometry.

The Lyttelton time ball the third in New Zealand and the only survivor was built in 1876, the signal discontinued in 1934, latterly the ball being released by radio from Wellington. It is one of only 5 in the world known to be in working order p+64 3 328 7311

 

Trams were the reason it became practical to visit Sumner easily, and commute to the city, the journey taking about an hour.

There are two Stone Tram shelters still in existence, and being used as Bus Shelters. One at the bottom of the spur on Clifton and the other on the main road Redcliffs almost opposite Wakatu Ave. 

Interestingly there is a niche in the rock wall next to the Clifton Shelter which is where one of Telecom New Zealand’s famous red telephone booths once stood.

Be wary of waiting for the bus here, as the stop is on the other corner, and many a slow passenger has been left behind.

DCP_0119tramshelterphonebox.jpg (157441 bytes) DCP_0116wakatutramshelter.jpg (67891 bytes)

Van Asch Deaf Education Center

The Center opened in 1880, there were 42 boarders in 1890, the first day pupils enrolling in 1901. The main building opened in 1904.

Volcano Rim Walkway. This is a little known walkway starting from the top of the bridle path on the summit road. The views are stunning. Proceed south around the crater rim to S 43° 35.693 E 172° 42.140 and take the path out along the ridge to over look Corsair Bay. Care will be needed in wet weather S 43° 35.913 E 172° 42.084. There is a geocache hidden in the area.

Wakatu Ave to Shag Rock a short walkway commencing at the old stone tram shelter (1934), running along the foreshore to the old lifeboat shed at Shag rock. It is understood there is a public track from the tram shelter to Beachville Road, although some property owners currently dispute this. The public road may only be accessible at low tide.

Wheatley’s Drift s 43deg 35.354’ e 172deg 46.563’

Christchurch City council employees when collecting rock from the nearby quarry would load up the truck and turn right onto the road toward Godley head.

With the truck in neutral the only rule, they would race downhill to see who got the best distance, the winner of this competition was an employee named wheatley.

Hence the sign on the downhill side of the road. Just short of Godley Head

Whitewash Head Track Take Scarborough Road footpath from near the clock tower, then Whitewash Head Road a steep climb with magnificent views of the cliffs and Sumner Bay. The track follows up along the cliff edge on Scarborough head, with good views of the soaring seabirds. Impressive views of Godley head and northern peninsula. Take the right-hand track (100m past the top) to return to the car park at Nicholson Park, or the cliff track to Taylor’s Mistake.

Windsor Castle is the name given to the prominent volcanic outcrop on upper Richmond Hill at S 43° 34.773 E 172° 44.756 Height 298m asl Take Richmond Hill Road and follow the tracks uphill. Closed during lambing.

Windsurf Area CCC on Humphries drive an area is designated for non powered craft. Public Toilets and Shower. The walkway on the north West Side of the estuary departs from here.

Zig Zag Clifton Starts on Nayland Street near the Masonic Lodge and in two sections reaches Panorama Road. Magnificent views of the Estuary, City and plains.

Zig Zag Richmond take the lower road past the Bowling club and exit on Richmond Hill Road this short track ends here, and Richmond Hill Road must be used if proceeding up via the old golf course to the summit road. (Not open at lambing) George Humphries donated this Track to the Sumner Borough Council after 1909. Note the iron Railing, and street channelling on Richmond Hill was formed about 1906. Organised by George Humphries.

I would love to hear from people prepared to have their old photos of the area scanned for consideration for this site.

Sumnertoferrymead Home

Web Stats - Free Realtime Web Statistics Tracker & Counter